This quarantine season we are already dealing with a lot of stress, one more thing that we cannot afford to deal is the shortage of supplies at home. You need to therefore, be very careful about the use of resources available at home. While people can usually survive without almost everything, one thing that is necessary for survival is food. so, we would be stressing more on saving food resources while you are locked down.
1. Store food appropriately
It is not just about using the resources properly, storing them appropriately is equally important. One thing that you cannot afford this quarantine is food spoilage. Inappropriate storage of fruits and vegetables results in premature ripening. Never store things like potatoes, garlic, tomatoes, cucumbers as well as onions in refrigerator. Always keep these items at room temperature. Presence of ethylene promotes food ripening. Some of the fruits that produce ethylene gas while ripening are bananas, avocados, tomatoes, cantaloupes, peaches, pears and green onions. You should not keep these with other foods like potatoes, leafy greens, apples, berries and peppers so as to avoid premature spoilage.
It is a well-known saying that, “out of sight, out of mind.” Keeping this in mind, it is important that you keep things in your house and in your kitchen well organized. If your fridge is well-stocked then it is a good thing especially during quarantine, but not of it is highly disorganized. Un-managed fridge results in many things remaining hid and eventually getting spoiled. There is one approach that you need to follow when it comes to using items stocked in your fridge, “first in, first out.” Do not keep stocking up the fridge without using things that are already there from weeks.
3. Do the laundry once
It’s not just the food that you need to be careful for, you need to use other resources also properly. Washing clothes on daily basis or on alternate days results in excessive use of washing powder thereby causing wastage. It is a fact that if you load your washing machine with clothes irrespective of whether these are more or less, the amount of detergent that you add to the machine remains the same. Thus, it is beneficial to collect the dirty clothes and wash them weekly. This also saves a lot of water.
4. Use the leftover food
One of the best ways to prevent wastage of resources during quarantine is to make use of the left overs to prepare a one-time meal for the next day. Here we are with some ideas for you:
- Masala Idli : Use last night’s leftover idlis to prepare masala idli. You simply need to cut them to four halves and then pan-fry those using spices. You can also add onions and other things if you prefer to enhance the taste.
- Stuffed Grilled Sandwiches : Make use of the leftover sabzi from yesterday’s dinner to prepare grilled sandwiches this morning. All you need to do is stuff the two pieces of bread with this sabzi and they grill it. This saves you a lot of time as well as your effort.
- Chapati Poha : You simply need to replace the flattened rice with the chapatis that remained intact in your hot case the last night. Rest you need to follow the same process as you do to make poha. Again, it is a very simple and easy to make dish with the leftover food.
- Fried Rice : Simply pan-fry the rice from last night. Add to it some veggies that you like as well as the spices and it’s done. Fry the rice well and enjoy the taste.
- Bread Upma : Instead of using sooji to prepare upma like you usually do, all that you need to do is replace it with bread rest the recipe remains the same. it is pretty easy and time saving too.
All these tips are going to prove very helpful to prevent wastage of resources. You need to be very careful about using things at your home. Minimal wastage of resources is going to be a great help for all in this time of crisis.